Praia, Jan 12 (Inforpress) – The leaders of the carnival groups in the City of Praia stated Tuesday that they already had the possibility of suspending Carnival, but ask the Government to be “consistent” in taking measures to contain the virus.
Speaking to Inforpress, the president of the Vindos d’África Group, José Gomes, said that since the pandemic they were already foreseeing this decision, but they were still preparing for this year’s parade, since the pandemic was not a reason for suspending other activities, at other times, such as election campaigns.
“There were election campaigns, parade in the streets, rally and also unprotected people in the streets without distancing, without wearing masks and politicians, who should be an example, were in the streets to disrespect”, he observed, asking the Government for some coherence in its measures.
The suspension of Carnival for the second consecutive year has brought losses to the Vindos D’Africa Association, since some expenses had already been carried out, with the group’s own funds, since neither the City Hall of Praia nor the Government had made available the support to the groups, José Gomes said.
AT / MJB / ZS / HVF