Tarrafal, Apr 26 (Inforpress) – The municipality of Tarrafal, in the countryside of the Santiago Island, created in 1917, whose main economic activities carried out by the population are agriculture, fishing, livestock and tourism, celebrates Sunday 104 years of its creation.
According to historical data, the municipality of Tarrafal was created on April 25, 1917, through Decree-law no. 3108-B of April 25, causing its disintegration of the Municipality of Santa Catarina, which, until 1912, had its headquarters in the village of Tarrafal, grouping the parishes of Santo Amaro Abade and São Miguel Arcanjo, with headquarters in the village of Tarrafal.
This administrative configuration remained until 1997, when it was dismembered in two municipalities, Tarrafal and São Miguel. The municipality, which has 112.4 square kilometers, has 22 localities, two urban (city of Mangue and Chão Bom) and 20 rural.
It is in the city of Mangue which centers the buildings of the City Hall, the Nhu Santo Amaro Abade Church, the National Police Station, the craft and culture market, the old cinema, the Baia Verde and high school, among other major infrastructures.